It can be daunting each day looking around us and realising what we actually need to do to the house still. I think it’s important for us to celebrate succcesses, because often all this work can feel very unrewarding (I know how riddiculous this sounds, because after all we’re making our dream house and we’ll get the benefit of living in it, but looking at dirty floors and wires hanging everywhere can be a bit miserable sometimes).
Once of the major benefits of starting this blog is that we’ve started to look back more – realise what we’ve already achieved – and this seems to keep us motivated.
- We found the house we wanted to buy (finally!) after looking for around twelve months, and viewing lots!
- We got our old house on the market and sold it.
- We spoke to an architect and had plans drawn up for an extension to both the house we wanted to buy and it’s adjoining garage/workshop
- We split the garage and house plans and resubmitted them after having issues with the planning department
- We had the plans passed for the house
- We packed up the old house
- We moved into our new house
- We fitted a dishwasher, oven and hob into the kitchen
- We had an ecology survey done for the garage extension
- We started tracing the drains and splitting up the services
- We had the plans passed for the garage extension
- We moved the drains for the house
- We change the connection for our water supply to plastic from lead
- We moved the electricity incoming supply
- We tore down the existing extension and conservatory
- We added a water supply at the bottom of the garden
- We cleared away all of the rubble from the existing extension and levelled the plot
- We emptied and filled in the septic tank we discovered under the old conservatory
- We dug the foundations for the new extension and conservatory
- The builder built the first three courses of block work and then we poured the concrete for the foundation
- We prepared for the slab by layering sand, a damp proof membrane, insulation and reinforcing mesh
- We poured the concrete for the slab
- The builder took over and built the block work extension
- The builder fitted the timber joists for the roof
- We fitted the membrane, batons and tiled the roof on the extension before cementing the ridge tiles in place
- We insulated, re plastered, fitted architrave and skirting and ran new wiring run throughout the Nursery
- We decorated the Nursery ready for Ewan’s arrival
- The builder began the brickwork for the garage extension
- We had the house extension rendered
- We painted the render to make sure it was weather tight
- We fitted the roof to the ground floor lean to
- We fitted all of the windows and patio doors into the extension
- We fitted all of the glass into the new windows and doors
- We fitted some temporary kitchen units to give us a bit more cupboard space in the kitchen.
2016 really was an amazing year for us.It had already started on a high as we’d just discovered that we were expecting Ewan and it’s ending with us content in our new house, a weather tight extension and a happy healthy little boy.
That’s us signing off for the year. Hope you have a lovely 2017,
Amy, Lee, Ewan, Harvey and Rory.