Planning the Plumbing and Wiring

One of the biggest issues we’ve experienced so far is living in the house at the same time as renovating it. For example, we needed to knock down the original extension – but that housed the main electrical supply for the whole house. To get this moved it cost us £1000, so moving it to a temporary supply and them moving it back into the house once we’d rebuilt the extension would have cost twice this amount. In addition to this, we needed to keep the electrical supply to the rest of the house whilst we were working on the extension.

It’s meant we’ve had to keep finding alternative solutions to our wiring to keep some form of power in the house whilst updating and rewiring parts of the house as we’ve gone along (as the old electrics were ancient and not particularly safe).

It’s the same with the plumbing, as we’ve had to tap into bits to create a temporary supply to the extension, knowing that long term we wanted to move the location of the boiler. For example – one pipe that supplied the new master bedroom went through the back of the old chimney meaning we couldn’t use it (we’ve since pulled this chimney down anyway).

Now that we’re in the ‘middle section’ of the house, we’re back into the original house’s plumbing and electrics, which need replacing, but we know we’re not at the point of updating the ones in the final third of the house (kitchen and bathroom).

It’s taken some serious planning so far but we’ve managed to come up with the following solutions for the electrics:

  • We’ve planned out all of the locations we want the sockets, switches and lights to go in. This means we’ve been able to decide the ‘first’ and ‘last’ locations of all of the upstairs and downstairs power (which will each be on their own ring main – separate to the ring mains in the extension)
  • We’ve done the same with the lighting (up and down) so we know the first locations to run the wires to.
  • We’ve then identified the wires that feed the final third of the house and identified the relevant places to connect them into the new wiring. Eventually we’ll replace them when we get round to those rooms but for the time being they’ll be off the old distribution board at least:

The current wiring situation – it needs to go!

With the plumbing it’s a similar situation. Currently our boiler is outside in the workshop (not efficient!) but long term we want to move this into the house. It’s not going to be for a few years yet but we wanted to make sure it would be simple enough to change the location of the supply. The plans for this are:

  • Run one main length at the front of the house (this is mostly already in place) and one at the back of the house (this involves pulling the lean to roof down at the back of the house and connecting up in the roof void).
  • Run a length between these two lengths (we’ll be doing this through the kitchen ceiling as the beams everywhere else prevent us from doing that).
  • T-off for all the radiators via these three main pipes.

This was once we move the boiler and the supply to near the back door it’ll be a case of patching into the existing pipework without having to move anything major.